Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-03-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Found this in todays paper.

I read this in the Herald Sun Cars Guide letters section this morning.

Quote:
TRAP IN RADAR TRAPS

As A retired Vitorian Police Officer, I would like to bring to your notice an incident that occured in N/E victoria recently.

A government car travelling with the speed control set at 100km/hwas pulled over by a police officer who had been travelling in the opposite direction and the driver told he was clocked by radar at 166km/h.

The driver denied doing that speed, and argued for about 30 minutes. Finally the police officer said something about radar bounce and that the conversation was confidential, then let him go.
How many people have been booked like this?

It appears the police officer had not returned thegun to zero and the last person he checked was doing 62km/h. Adding on the 100 gave a reading of 166km/h.

If the police officer had been genuine he would have had to travel about five kilometres to catch the "speeding" car. Thank god they didn't have radar in my day.
Makes you wonder doesn't it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 11:51 AM   #2
trueblue
01 Falcon Ute

been hearing alot of stories about dodgy speed camera's latly... Its Kind of dodgy? These dodgy speed camera's mean the loss of someones licence and even job.

in saying that, why did the copper let him go. i heard that if it was a one on one argument the copper was always right?

makes you wonder

WTD mags to suit AU Falcon ute, AU XR rims or BA 18" xr rims. PM ME
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGhIa

in saying that, why did the copper let him go.
Ill answer that mate... Because it was a government car..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

going with the "cant make money by fining yourself" theory mate?!
Old 18-03-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

umm, the radars don't add speeds if you do another car ... more misinformation
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
umm, the radars don't add speeds if you do another car ... more misinformation
That's what I thought but this guy says he's an ex-cop so you would think he knows what he's on about. But then again...
Old 18-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #7
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Government car says it all. I've done Chap's laps (Chappel St) in a government car on a night they were doing a r/w blitz. Guess who didn't get pulled over ;) It was later found the gov't car I was driving wasn't even registered! It hadn't been registered for 7mths due to a screw up @ head office. I thought it was wierd that it had no rego sticker.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmeanie
That's what I thought but this guy says he's an ex-cop so you would think he knows what he's on about. But then again...
he also says " I am glad they didn't have radar in my day' which goes to show he was never exposed to it.

Guess what I used to do for a job once ??
Old 18-03-2005, 02:04 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
he also says " I am glad they didn't have radar in my day' which goes to show he was never exposed to it.

Guess what I used to do for a job once ??
geez I wonder _2:
Old 18-03-2005, 02:37 PM   #10
Cheahman
BOSS 260

If the road was 100, how is he gonna clock someone going 62? Sounds stupid too me.

BA XR8
EB XR8
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #11
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Sounds a little bit far fetched to me...such a discrepancy and the fact that the person wasn't fined (Egad! The Victorian Police are being lenient!!!) doesn't seem to make the story legible.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Well I know of a similar story, it happened to a mate a few yr's back, he was driving a semi from Melbourne to Bendigo and was coming up over Big Hill which is a steady incline and most semi's would be lucky to pull 50klm up this hill and the cop pulled him over for doing 150klm, what a crock of sh#t, as if a semi could do this up this hill, he is a big bloke and defended his right's and in the end the cop let him off, but he knew about this and asked the cop to clear his gun infront of him so that he could not get the next person, so if you do get pulled over and shown the gun with your speed ask for him to clear the gun so they can't do it to some one else.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 04:36 PM   #13
Dez
Banned

sounds a bit like BS to me...and like XA said (he'd know for a fact whereas i'd assume) that the speed gun would not add to the last checked speed. that is the stupidest thing i've heard..

so if they dont clear it after 3 cars, they can pull the next guy over for doing 303km/h

lol.

"but officer, my datsun doesnt do 300km/h"
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
sounds a bit like BS to me...and like XA said (he'd know for a fact whereas i'd assume) that the speed gun would not add to the last checked speed. that is the stupidest thing i've heard..

so if they dont clear it after 3 cars, they can pull the next guy over for doing 303km/h

lol.

"but officer, my datsun doesnt do 300km/h"
Bwahahahahahahahahaha
Old 18-03-2005, 04:55 PM   #15
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmeanie
Bwahahahahahahahahaha
lol, exaggerated as it may be, it shows how in-accurate this guys statements are...and i say that confidently now that XA Coupe has said that its not true.

but if thats how it was, and the officer didnt clear it twice, 300km is easily attainable :P

i used a speed gun back at school, and i dont remember ever having to clear it .
Old 18-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #16
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can state for a fact that they reset when you pull the trigger again.
Of course, should the equipment be faulty there is no way I can state for sure what would happen but it ain't gunna happen when it works fine. Anything else is urban legend.
There is someone on this forum that can testify as to my prowess with the radar
Old 18-03-2005, 05:07 PM   #17
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
lol, exaggerated as it may be, it shows how in-accurate this guys statements are...and i say that confidently now that XA Coupe has said that its not true.

but if thats how it was, and the officer didnt clear it twice, 300km is easily attainable :P

i used a speed gun back at school, and i dont remember ever having to clear it .
I know and that's the thing now in victoria when it comes to speed detection, super paranoid people and a media (the herald sun mainly) that likes to blow everything all out of proportion from all angles (public fear and over zealous cops and government).Personally I don't belive a word that the bloke wrote in that article but I thought it would was an interesting read and would make an interesting thread.
Old 18-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #18
Dez
Banned

hehe yeah, maybe he just left the force on bad terms, or wanted his 15seconds of fame in the paper. lol

but yeah, that probably explains why i never had to clear the gun manually....it just does it automatically when you go for the next reading
Old 18-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #19
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will find there are quite a few people that disagree with the Force's stance on a lot of things but can't say anything.... until they leave
A lot of cops really disagree with the BS about speeding but it's their job to enforce the laws of the land.
Old 18-03-2005, 11:12 PM   #20
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You will find there are quite a few people that disagree with the Force's stance on a lot of things but can't say anything.... until they leave
A lot of cops really disagree with the BS about speeding but it's their job to enforce the laws of the land.
Then maybe the police who disagree, in conjunction with joe public, could all put an end to this senseless revenue raising and ppl losing their brief by standing up and saying enough is enough.
I know and have spoken to enough coppers to know that they regard it as revenue raising,unfortunately the carpetting a copper gets for speaking his mind is greater than what I would have gotten as a firie for speaking my mind,and I was decrying outdated rescue techniques,but then I guess being a union sec/rep helped.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2005, 11:54 PM   #21
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I hate the traffic branch, they got up my goat 2 days ago, when I saw a 4.5 metre semi go under a 3.7metre bridge (photos will come in the next week!)

I've tried 7 times to write a politically correct response here, I've deleted all of them replies... in short... they endangered my life when they were there to protect it, so I think they're scum!
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2005, 01:09 AM   #22
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Then maybe the police who disagree, in conjunction with joe public, could all put an end to this senseless revenue raising and ppl losing their brief by standing up and saying enough is enough.
I know and have spoken to enough coppers to know that they regard it as revenue raising,unfortunately the carpetting a copper gets for speaking his mind is greater than what I would have gotten as a firie for speaking my mind,and I was decrying outdated rescue techniques,but then I guess being a union sec/rep helped.
The police can't stand up and say enough is enough. There are a multitude of reasons, the least of which is that they are law enforcers, not law makers. Unfortunately it is up to the government to do that.

The ONLY way it will ever get sorted is at the ballot box.
Old 19-03-2005, 01:10 AM   #23
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
I hate the traffic branch, they got up my goat 2 days ago, when I saw a 4.5 metre semi go under a 3.7metre bridge (photos will come in the next week!)

I've tried 7 times to write a politically correct response here, I've deleted all of them replies... in short... they endangered my life when they were there to protect it, so I think they're scum!
I am still trying to figure out how it's the traffic branch's fault !!! :ymca:
Old 19-03-2005, 01:52 AM   #24
Dez
Banned

Quote:
I am still trying to figure out how it's the traffic branch's fault !!! :ymca:
lol, that makes 2 of us...i didnt get that post at all
Old 19-03-2005, 02:07 AM   #25
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Sorry, just know how some of the traffic coppers lower themselves to get a high ticket number. They've got a different mentality than the rest of the police force!

Last edited by Captain Stubing; 19-03-2005 at 02:30 AM.
Old 19-03-2005, 02:15 AM   #26
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I was able to clock up a speed of 96 on the old radars, by whistling into it...

I didn't use this against anyone, just an example of what could have been done years ago.

Last edited by Captain Stubing; 19-03-2005 at 02:31 AM.
Old 19-03-2005, 03:22 AM   #27
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thank god they didn't have radar in my day.
Back in my day... LMAO.

Obveously this old cogger has a chip on his shoulder from his old police days or some shyte, because I'd be very supprised if he even knew how to operate one of those new whiz band radar guns, Lol.
Old 19-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #28
Steve
torque is your friend

Geez, if it helps cast doubt and confusion over this whole Bracks lead, revenue rasing scam that's going on, I say let this bloke say what he wants.
Old 19-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #29
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Sorry, just know how some of the traffic coppers lower themselves to get a high ticket number. They've got a different mentality than the rest of the police force!
Quote:
I was able to clock up a speed of 96 on the old radars, by whistling into it...

I didn't use this against anyone, just an example of what could have been done years ago.
oooooooohhhhhkkk then
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 03:02 AM   #30
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
oooooooohhhhhkkk then
Okay, I'll take that back. I know you can't say that about Every traffic copper (maybe just a couple that I've met)

And, yes, I've heard traffic blokes say (whether in fact they did or not, I don't know) that they used the 'whistle' technique (which did work).