Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-09-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
Graeme Remihana
78Fury

Default Engine Knock

Hi Guys I have 3 AU's 1 1999 Fairlane V8, 1 !999 LTD 6, and 1 2000 LTD V8
The 2000 LTD has a light knock mainly noticable at idle and usually after a service. It sounds like a big end knock but is intermitent. It started at around 70,000k's now done 130,000k's but still about the same loudness. I took it to ford they heard it put it up on the hoist got under to listen and it stopped and thats how it is, sometimes it knocks sometimes it doesn't. The 99 V8 has done 105,000k's and if I listen real hard I can imagine that I hear the same knock occasionally. Has anyone else had this problem? This knock does go away after a few thousand k's after servicing. I suggested a different grade of oil but the powers that be tell me they are using the right stuff.

Graeme Remihana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
stiddy
Banned

I was going to say use a different oil.. what oil are they using at the moment?

I find Penrite HPR15 is very very good.. highly recommend the stuff, ford and most service places recommend 5w30 for these engines, I personally think this grade oil is just too thin.. hence the reason for me using PenriteHPR15.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Even Penrite HPR 30 which is a 20w 60, that was reccomended to me by someone that used to work at the ford plant.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #4
stiddy
Banned

HPR30 is toooo thick.. well depending on engine k's..
Old 10-09-2006, 12:05 AM   #5
Graeme Remihana
78Fury

Yeah thanks for that, forgot what grade they told me they used tried to find it on the bills to no avail. but I'll dump this lot and try your suggestion. Couple of times I tipped some STP down it's neck to shut it up.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:09 AM   #6
stiddy
Banned

Let us know how it goes.. Id be interested to see if the thicker oil makes a difference.

It did with my car.. always had tappy start up, and it just didnt 'feel' right.. tried HPR15 and havent looked at anything else since.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:41 AM   #7
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got the same knock in mine,(00 fairlane v8) mine is only there when the car is warm and on idle. if i take the rpm up by 500 its gone.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 01:02 AM   #8
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
got the same knock in mine,(00 fairlane v8) mine is only there when the car is warm and on idle. if i take the rpm up by 500 its gone.
A lot of the older windsor used to "knock" usual thing was a sloppy piston skirt but they ran for years like that. ( I had both zc and zd that did this)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 AM   #9
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes i have heard it before too. when i was younger and had a lot of GT's i noticed it in a few of them.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 12:47 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

If its a knocking sound , not a tapping sound , then i was gonna maybe suggest the bottom end bearings might be the culprit/worn. My old cleveland v8 used to do it badly (after thrashing it hard for a few years ), yet it still ran np for years like that until i sold it ... hehehehe. I just used thicker oil in the end and it shut it up alot .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Graeme Remihana
78Fury

OK thanks guys will be dropping the oil tommorrow try something thicker. ....like EP 90 eh?
Old 11-09-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
If the knocking dissapears when you increase rpm like that its a good chance you have worn camshaft lobes and rocker gear. Old v8 started doing it and i had it checked out

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2006, 10:15 AM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My AU V8 does EXACTLY the same thing .. straight after servicing it knocks and carrys-on for the first thousand K's .. then "seems" to quieten down a bit. If I listen hard at idle I can sometimes (but it's not consistent) hear the knocking when hot; 2 mechanics have also heard it so I'm not going completely mad. Mine has only just started to do it when hot, so I'm just leaving it until it does it more consistently before I attempt diagnosis/rebuild.

If you find a real cause/cure, please advise!

BTW: I got cold/hot oil pressure check to rule out bigend bearings .. hot @idle was about 30psi and at RPM was 65psi .. sounded fine to me?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post