Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-09-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
stera

Default New Website

Hi - I was hoping that anybody with knowledge about designing, starting up and maintaining a website here and abroad could share any information or experience they have had in the past and / or recently?!

Im after any information from advertising, costs, hosts and programs! Anything at all, if you think it would be useful, please feel free to reply.

Im looking to do something similar to www.carsales.com.au and believe costs for such a website would be reasonably high, due to the hosting of pictures and seperate accounts, for each vehicle etc...

But as u may be able to tell, I am only just beginning to look into this - So any information is good information!

Thanks again!

stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

4-5yrs of html, php, css, and other languages, lots of money for server hosting, advertising costs etc. Dedicated large staff to make sure everything is moderated etc.

Would be pretty much a business so it'd take a hellva lot

Try starting out with something small, and then working your way up to a large commercial website.
Old 27-09-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PM sent
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

everything is done on paper first...most successful things anyways

carsales/carpoint sucks you better make it better.

costs hosts and programs are the first priority, advertisments and royalties come after the site is up unless someone is prepared to support you all the way...

anyways my tip, this is a little work BUT alot of benefit in the long run.

drop all your ideas on paper, draw your site, describe how things will work, then work on functionality (navigation, layout, theme, etc) then make a skeleton, finish it off asthetically (presentation) then get it up on a free host, and get feedback and whats called beta testing. websites are hard if you dont know the languages and no good having a site with only html code.

keep on keeping on

if you need a hand with anything give me a PM ill be glad to help.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #5
stera

Thanks for those that have given advice...

Was wondering what some of the better / more popular free hosts were?!

Thanks again!
Old 30-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

50megs.com
konnor.az
thefreesite.com
fortune34.com

good free hosting sites

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Been there , done that , i almost even setup an isp service 15 years back ... Alot of money / time / web programming experience envolved even just to host a pretty basic server that is online 24 hrs day ! . And gee even 15 years ago it was bad enough constantlly updating servers to prevert hackers from gaining entry , they would be forever at it , and with the amount of people and hackers on the internet these days i would hate to have to manage with that , it would almost take a business like type / or heaps of friends etc etc to be able to maintain a website that is more than just a few pictures and artcles and stuff , especially if you are hosting the server on your own pc .

cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 10:12 PM   #8
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant
4-5yrs of html, php, css, and other languages, lots of money for server hosting, advertising costs etc. Dedicated large staff to make sure everything is moderated etc.

Would be pretty much a business so it'd take a hellva lot

Try starting out with something small, and then working your way up to a large commercial website.

For sure. In my instance I'm doing a work intranet site so I can get some experience in building things from the ground up. As I learn more stuff I apply it to the site in stages.

I've found a lot of help can be gotten from "how to" cd's like the ones on www.lynda.com . An internet search may help you obtain these an alternative way *cough torrents*

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2006, 08:32 PM   #9
stera

OK...

So who wants to run thru the basics??!

All the information is helpful, but I am after the real basics, as alot is still 'mumbo jumbo', for lack of a better term!

So if we can start with the very basics...

Step 1 - Once I have a design idea... I need to approach a web designer, right??

Step 2 - From there I need to look @ a free host for 'testing' and seeing how it goes??!

Step 3 - Iron out any bugs and if all is going well... I need to then look into someone else hosting the site... and the server... Do I need to, or should I have somebody do it for me?!

If anybody can guide me further and feel free to point me in the right direction if Im way off!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:59 AM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stera
OK...

So who wants to run thru the basics??!

All the information is helpful, but I am after the real basics, as alot is still 'mumbo jumbo', for lack of a better term!

So if we can start with the very basics...

Step 1 - Once I have a design idea... I need to approach a web designer, right??

Step 2 - From there I need to look @ a free host for 'testing' and seeing how it goes??!

Step 3 - Iron out any bugs and if all is going well... I need to then look into someone else hosting the site... and the server... Do I need to, or should I have somebody do it for me?!

If anybody can guide me further and feel free to point me in the right direction if Im way off!
step 1 is correct , but is going to cost you unless you or a friend can program internet languages ( very minimal... html/dtml, javascript , and hopefully a bit of java ) to be able to maintain your own adverage website , or even to create it !/ depending how advanced you want it .

step2 , free host - yes and no - you will find depending on what you want to be able to host on your website ( what services or applications etc ), you'll find most free webservers only give you limited cgi/php/server functions, most will only give you limited room, and most also like to diplay a banner of some sort on your webpage for their free service.
Imo really to run a business like kind of website / with full server access and ability to run any web functions/applications etc, then your better off either paying for a server to host your site on , or to get a 24hr connection to the internet and setup your home pc as your webserver ( doing has its advantages as nothing has to be uploaded to your server over the web for site updating , its just a matter of updating files on your harddrive / no sending them to a server , also you have full control over the server and its privacy ).
If you just want to host pictures , maybe a chat server and small stuff like that then usually a free webserver is fine .

If you are going to run a website on another server( a free one somewhere ), you can test your webpages offline (or online if the page has ww links ) from your harddrive before you go uploading them to the server. If you site requires a server running (eg ..if your applications require a cgi-bin ..etc etc) to test your site then just download a free webserver like Xitami or Apache on your pc and test it all offline before sending it to the free or pay server.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post