Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-10-2006, 02:33 AM   #1
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Default Superchips? Anyone know about them?

Hi, today my dad had ratter look over his car to attempt to find a stalling fault, and he found a blue 'Superchip' thing plugged into the ECU. I assume it was plugged into the J3 port and is something like a Powerchip.
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about these, and what they do? The only info I have found is that they are for foreign cars, basically no Australian info.

Thanks
Michael

Old 04-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Powerchip use the superchip, reprogrammed for Oz cars. They are next to useless.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Powerchip use the superchip, reprogrammed for Oz cars. They are next to useless.
Hey thats not nice comparing it to a regular member in these threads (Useless)! .. hehehe j/k ! .;)

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Hey thats not nice comparing it to a regular member in these threads (Useless)! .. hehehe j/k ! .;)
So you got the double entendre?!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
So you got the double entendre?!
:

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #6
xr8ute
Back on the road

Superchips are a chip manufacturer in the states, like Autologic.

I would expect that the CAPA Eliminator chip, aka E-Series edit, uses Superchip hardware as well. (SCT stands for Superchips Custom Tuning)

I am not sure what chips Chiptorque use?

BUT the chip hardware has makes no real difference wether its a good chip or a bad chip. The thing that makes the difference, for better or worse, is the calibration/tune that is loaded onto it.

As has been said, the quality of the calibrations from Powerchip are not exactly brilliant...lol.

So anyway, back to the question. Chiptorque and/or CAPA should be able to load a tune onto that chip for you. And as always, a custom tune is better than an off-the-shelf tune.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 06:09 PM   #7
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Thanks guys, quite interesting feedback. I didn't realise that they were reprogrammable, as it was installed a few years ago, before my dad bought the car.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #8
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Superchips is different to SCT (superchips custom tuning)

The piggy back was removed not due to a performance problem, but to a cutting out and failing to restart problem which several other workshops including dealers have not been able to locate.
There has been some weird problems happening with the computer information and even access to the info in the computer.
Several unrelated problems were found unrelated to the piggyback, but access to the computer was available and several undefined codes all disappeared when the pigyback was removed.
The car may not be rectified at this stage, but after the long period of trouble MickeyB's dad has been having, we have removed this to take it out of the equation, but as mentioned computer access is totally back to where it should be so trouble shooting may be more precise if the problem reoccurs.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Superchips is different to SCT (superchips custom tuning)

The piggy back was removed not due to a performance problem, but to a cutting out and failing to restart problem which several other workshops including dealers have not been able to locate.
There has been some weird problems happening with the computer information and even access to the info in the computer.
Several unrelated problems were found unrelated to the piggyback, but access to the computer was available and several undefined codes all disappeared when the pigyback was removed.
The car may not be rectified at this stage, but after the long period of trouble MickeyB's dad has been having, we have removed this to take it out of the equation, but as mentioned computer access is totally back to where it should be so trouble shooting may be more precise if the problem reoccurs.
Thanks for clearing that up ratter, Dad was happy to get down to Wonthaggi and back today without any problems So he's a pretty happy person at this stage.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #10
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Grab that chip and hurl it as far out the window as your arms will allow.

I've had one before and it did **** all- wouldn't even give me dash lights. That experience was awful- car off the road for three weeks, 2 chips, sending the ECU to Melbourne, stuffed the first chip and at the end of the day i was down $550 and ended up with nothing to show for it- not even the second chip, nothing.

Don't get me started on those things- god they ****ed me off.

Good luck with the problems, sound like someone knows what's going on anyway- just an opportune moment to vent, sorry.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:32 AM   #11
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
Grab that chip and hurl it as far out the window as your arms will allow.

I've had one before and it did **** all- wouldn't even give me dash lights. That experience was awful- car off the road for three weeks, 2 chips, sending the ECU to Melbourne, stuffed the first chip and at the end of the day i was down $550 and ended up with nothing to show for it- not even the second chip, nothing.

Don't get me started on those things- god they ****ed me off.

Good luck with the problems, sound like someone knows what's going on anyway- just an opportune moment to vent, sorry.
Yeh Mick (ratter) definately knows his Falcon's, so we are happy that we have the best man for the job.
And we have basically come to that conclusion for the chip too, was yours for your TE50?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:01 AM   #12
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Yeh Mick (ratter) definately knows his Falcon's, so we are happy that we have the best man for the job.
And we have basically come to that conclusion for the chip too, was yours for your TE50?
Yeah it was mate. The chip would have been more effective if it were made of chocolate
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 02:07 AM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
Yeah it was mate. The chip would have been more effective if it were made of chocolate
mmmmmmmm chocolate.......
Old 14-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Hey MickyB

Hows your dads car going or should I say is it still going?
He came in a few weeks back and said all was well but would keep me informed, just curious as whether we got to the bottom of the problem

Mick

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post