Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 22-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Default which shifter is the best one to use

Hi all,

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on which shifter is the best to use???.

I currently have a StarShifter that I was going to use, but found that both the Quiksilver and Promatic2 might be better. I want to be able to use the car when it is built mainly for the drags, but also a bit of everything else too.

From what I can gather, and I could be very wrong (and if so please let me know) these shifters allow you to move up and down gears, and would be better to use for the street driven/racer toy that I am yet to find.

any thoughts?

cheers and thanks in advance,

Envi

Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Coupe460

The nicest auto shifter from 2 , 3 , 4 speeds in my opinion would have to be the B&M Pro Ratchet, cheers jai
Coupe460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #3
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

I second that. I'm using the B&M Pro-ratchet, and even with a manual valve body, it is easy to use on the street and strip.
ToddZC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I've tried b&m starshifter and megashifters in my ZC and in the end went to and still use a Hurst promatic2 shifter, it appears to be easiest to use with the manual valve body, it has gear indicator display, and uses neutral start switch and reverse light switch to keep it close to legal.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2006, 11:55 PM   #5
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to have a Megashifter. Never liked it due to how much of an effort it was to get into reverse. I swapped to a Quicksilver. I'll never use a Megashifter again. I converted the Quicksilver from a 3/4spd shifter for use with my 2spd powerglide.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

yeah the hurst promatic is probably my personal pick, although the Quiksilver does the same thing so I guess it comes down to what is available and for how much....
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Pro 5.0 for me.....not sure how'd you'd adapt it..... ;)

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 09:34 PM   #8
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pro Ratchet for me, good allrounder and has reverse/nuetral switch as well