Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-12-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default The Todd is flowing....

There's my piece of useless information for the week.....

Merry Chrissy everyone.

Old 23-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #2
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

i remember on one of my trips to 'the alice' the Todd river was flowing so they had to postpone the Henly on todd boat race .
the river subsided very quick and the regatta was held the next day.
FTGAutosalvage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

LOL, I've only been to the Alice once many, MANY years ago (in the 80's). We went to Ayers Rock and it rained. Very unusual. Unfortunately it also rained that day at the Alice and the Todd flash flooded. Apparently quite a few of the locals that liked to "camp" in the Todd to sleep off some heavy drinking got caught and died too :(

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTGAutosalvage
i remember on one of my trips to 'the alice' the Todd river was flowing so they had to postpone the Henly on todd boat race .
the river subsided very quick and the regatta was held the next day.

The only boat race that gets cancelled due to the presence of water.
Gotta love central Australia.
Old 23-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
LOL, I've only been to the Alice once many, MANY years ago (in the 80's). We went to Ayers Rock and it rained. Very unusual. Unfortunately it also rained that day at the Alice and the Todd flash flooded. Apparently quite a few of the locals that liked to "camp" in the Todd to sleep off some heavy drinking got caught and died too :(
I was about to say, if the river starts flooding there would be also a flood of locals retreating to the riverbanks, there are always quite a few setting up fires and camp on the sand

I would love to be at Palm Valley when the Finke is in flood, that would be amazing, access would be a problem though!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
watching the water cascading of Ayres rock during a storm is something that not many people get to see. i have been there a few times and was lucky enough to see it while it was raining aswell.
Old 23-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #7
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Unfortunately it also rained that day at the Alice and the Todd flash flooded. Apparently quite a few of the locals that liked to "camp" in the Todd to sleep off some heavy drinking got caught and died too :(
It still happens. But it is the little tackers that I really feel sorry for.
Old 23-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
watching the water cascading of Ayres rock during a storm is something that not many people get to see. i have been there a few times and was lucky enough to see it while it was raining aswell.
I have only seen photo's of this..... They were amazing enough, to actually be there would be awsome.
Old 23-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #9
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I have only seen photo's of this..... They were amazing enough, to actually be there would be awsome.
Crap . now you've got me planing another trip!!
Old 23-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
I worked at the Resort there for a few years and it actually happens mroe often then ppl think! it actually snowed there about 10 years ago.

I would love to go back one day

LOL at the Boat reggata being cancelled coz there was actually water in the river!
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

LOL. I had no idea what you blokes were talking about. Found this though.

http://www.henleyontodd.com.au/gallery.php
Old 23-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
This was about 25 years ago, I was only a young kid at the time, but I'll never forget it. The Rock went a weird shade of grey and become very eerie. The water coming down looked like veins of silver too.
We stayed at a Hotel only walking distance away from the rock (they are all gone now) and that evening no one was game to walk to the rock in the dark and touch it. It literally blotted out the sky as you got close. It is one amazing place.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 12:09 AM   #13
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
This was about 25 years ago, I was only a young kid at the time, but I'll never forget it. The Rock went a weird shade of grey and become very eerie. The water coming down looked like veins of silver too.
We stayed at a Hotel only walking distance away from the rock (they are all gone now) and that evening no one was game to walk to the rock in the dark and touch it. It literally blotted out the sky as you got close. It is one amazing place.
It is easy to see how the local Aboriginals get all heeby geeby about it. It certainly does have a certain feel about it.
Old 24-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #14
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen it flow more than 3 times that classifys me as local, I have seen indigineous kids going downstream in a tyre tube and it was flowing fast.

Is the Tunks crossing flooded OutbackJack ?

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #15
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co8ra
I worked at the Resort there for a few years and it actually happens mroe often then ppl think! it actually snowed there about 10 years ago.

I would love to go back one day

LOL at the Boat reggata being cancelled coz there was actually water in the river!
i have heard of the snow on the rock before .
it has also snowed on the Macdonald ranges in alice springs
Old 24-12-2006, 12:53 AM   #16
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
I've seen it flow more than 3 times that classifys me as local, I have seen indigineous kids going downstream in a tyre tube and it was flowing fast.

Is the Tunks crossing flooded OutbackJack ?
It had a trickle running over it this morning, but that has dries up now. But we have that far off thunder and lightning coming in from the west at the moment. We might well get more rain tonight..... And I just washed my wife's car..... typical.
Old 24-12-2006, 01:29 AM   #17
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Rock Visit

I know that the logistics of driving to the Rock are not little ones. But how many fordies would be up for a trip to the monolith. There is some good accomodation there ranging from $1800.00 a night to cabins at $120 per night. Those that have been there would be able to try and explain the experience of walking around it and climbing to the top. The walk through the olgers is quite eye opening as well. June July are the two best months to visit and see the sun set and sun rise on the rock. It is also the time that the desert freezes over without any ice, weird. Minus 7 degrees was the coldest when I went there last winter. It is also a great place for kids to do some exploring.

Any brave people out there want to go for a drive?? If anyone is interested I will organise as much as I can at this end. Local knowledge is priceless.

Cheers all.
Old 24-12-2006, 01:56 AM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

More rain tonight!!!!

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/IDR253.loop.shtml
Old 24-12-2006, 02:32 AM   #19
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
I know that the logistics of driving to the Rock are not little ones. But how many fordies would be up for a trip to the monolith. There is some good accomodation there ranging from $1800.00 a night to cabins at $120 per night. Those that have been there would be able to try and explain the experience of walking around it and climbing to the top. The walk through the olgers is quite eye opening as well. June July are the two best months to visit and see the sun set and sun rise on the rock. It is also the time that the desert freezes over without any ice, weird. Minus 7 degrees was the coldest when I went there last winter. It is also a great place for kids to do some exploring.

Any brave people out there want to go for a drive?? If anyone is interested I will organise as much as I can at this end. Local knowledge is priceless.

Cheers all.
would be great to go back to Yulara! the coldest i ever seen it was -10. but i did constant night shifts and that was clocked at the airport
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 05:15 AM   #20
FDG 220
Confused lil guy

Quote:

Cheers all.
I'm as keen as mustard

Name the time and place
FDG 220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 09:12 AM   #21
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to visit The Alice on business regularly in the eighties and I've seen the Todd in flood twice. I often wondered where all the cans and bottles ended up.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #22
rodderz

The walk to the summit is only half of it, go around the base and you see streams, waterfalls, and the rock art. I found the Olga's just as good but the best in my mind were Kings Canyon and Palm Valley which are like sets off Jurassic Park

I went there when I was about 12 or so but would love to drive it myself one day
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 12:10 PM   #23
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
The walk to the summit is only half of it, go around the base and you see streams, waterfalls, and the rock art. I found the Olga's just as good but the best in my mind were Kings Canyon and Palm Valley which are like sets off Jurassic Park

I went there when I was about 12 or so but would love to drive it myself one day
Kings canyon would be on the agenda as well. Palm valley requires decent 4X4's ( I have pulled many Subaru and Rav4's out of there). But my next door neighbour's "own emu run tours" and they take large mercedes buses into Palm Valley. As I said if we could get about 5 cars as definates, I will organise everything from here...... The photo opportunity of having your car picture taken in front of the rock is not to be missed. Not to mention the memories.
Old 24-12-2006, 12:52 PM   #24
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I used to visit The Alice on business regularly in the eighties and I've seen the Todd in flood twice. I often wondered where all the cans and bottles ended up.
There is a pile of green cans and long necks, along with silver wine cask bladders, that can be seen from the moon. They all collect near the Finke river. Taking care of the land!!!!
Old 24-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #25
XRchic
Hello

That would be an awesome trip. I have never been up there which is quite sad. Seen a lot of the world but not been to Ayres Rock. My parents and my brother went up there quite a few years ago and climbed it. Apparently it was one of the best experiences they have had.

Must take the kids up there for a few weeks and have big camping trip or something and hire a 4x4!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 02:06 PM   #26
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's june july ,might be able to talk me into it ,have to to tlak to the misus and see.
Come on XR chic make a 4 day trip or something and if there is a few of us then we can all go together
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 02:27 PM   #27
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizBang
If it's june july ,might be able to talk me into it ,have to to tlak to the misus and see.
Come on XR chic make a 4 day trip or something and if there is a few of us then we can all go together
Yeah will have to think about that! Would depend massively on work!

Old 24-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #28
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Some sites of the Alice. Some very rare like water in the Todd and cloud down onto the McDonnell Ranges. I took these this morning. just because I'm bored.

Low Cloud

Home Sweet Home.

Clare has books to balance.

Infamous Todd tavern.

Soggy Todd, most of the water has dried away. Rather than flow it is just a buch of water holes. Bush baths.
Old 24-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #29
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the wife is keen on going for 4 days or so .Will let you know 100% by March to come in June .Will fly up on a Thrusday and come back on a Sunday as we will only have to take two days off work
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2006, 07:35 PM   #30
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Some sites of the Alice. Some very rare like water in the Todd and cloud down onto the McDonnell Ranges. I took these this morning. just because I'm bored.
Great pics mate, thanks