Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shocking News

An important tip for new players on the block.

When the kids come running in and says the telly gone dud, think before you pull out the trusty screw driver and act like your a repair man.

I turned all power off and disconnected the lead , opened the back of the TV, vacumed the dust supply found, then proceeded to test, but still no luck.

Being sure it was a faulty switch i tried removing it for a better look but it did not want to play.

So then i spots the fuse and thinks, well i better check this and doing so i am guessing i had 240 volts now running up my left side, that was real fun.

Then just to prove I'm stupid, I thinks to my self thats strange, as its all off and unplugged and it must have stored some power some how, so i give it another whirl, and sure enough bang another shock down the left side ( these were powerful muthers and no soft jolt )

It was at that point my wife says your a left flanker the power still on ( from testing the stanby button )

The funny thing is even though my whole left side feels funny , it feels better, more refreshed and alive type feeling, and does feel like i have more energy in that side of my body.

I am concerned though with that being the case that if i go for a brisk walk that i may just spin around in circles due to one side running at higher revs than the other.

My suggestion to do the other side was squashed by the trouble n strife who was not happy with the idea.

Moral, darn lucky i think as I'm sure the centre tube section pumps up to 2400 volts and had I hit that, typing i would'nt be now, and best to call a repair man in.

DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lucky man doc!!!

TVs have BIIIIIG capacitors in them... hence tv repairs best left for a while
Old 03-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Bluefreak

I think you found yourself a capacitor. they hold an enormous charge but are rarely(some are so caution should always be applied to any task involving electrical equipment) cause for real concern in domestic appliances. They are also great for apprentices, charge them up and toss toward apprentice, apprentice catches with both hands and promptly throws it across the room while screaming like a girl...
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Not wrong you are lucky. My mum used to work for Sanyo years ago building TV's and more than one person has been killed by them. Apparently they can hold charge unplugged for over 24 hours too!

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

The amps not the volts kill. Amps drop as the volts increase, the supply is only 240, you cant borrow from no-where.

But yes, dont pop the back of the idiot box, remember how a TV used to take ages to warm up, but dont anymore, yeah thats part of it. Even after a week sitting unplugged, it can still hold zappo.

Lucky man.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
EvilChief
Boost Addict

u gotta let Tvs sit between 24 to 48h depending on size of capacitors in order for them to discharge

same thing in laser printers (then again we were never allowed to let em sit for any time at all to wait for discharge before starting repairs), hence we learned very very quickly which parts not to touch ;)
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #7
XR8putts

Moral of the story:

Buy a plasma.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
miitch
orgasmic.

Short the capacitor out with an insulated screwdriver across the terminals...

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow Doc.. you sure wanted to cause a stir already for the new year eh :

I hope you don't start whizzing around in circles either.. could be a funny sight mind you :

Doc, there are people that do these things for a living (& thats the reason they are called pro's in their field)..

Continue doing things you know HOW and let the professionals in that field do their job... tut tut tut
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #10
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im sure that there is a service technician only warning on the back of TV's.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
HOON69
Banned

i remember being thrown by my old tv which was unplugged not in the wall and not even in the house(somthing about power still in em even after being unplugged)
man they blow up bad when ya F### with em
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
FordFan86
meow

**** DOC that's no good...
I did have a laugh when you went at it again becuase I could see myself and others thinking/doing the exact same thing haha.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 07:28 PM   #13
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys have worked with electronics/electrical for a long time and luckily the worst I have copped was mains and I can tell you it is no fun at all, as suggested you copped some discharge by the sounds which can be fun too! But seriously be careful and don't try these things at home its not worth it. Also if wanting to discharge a capacitor for example always provide a load or risk damaging it (i.e. do not short circuit). By the way if it wasn't for the surge protection I would not be here, my muscles tightened and I wasn't letting go, was strange cos i passed out but it also kept me standing due to what it was doing to my muscles, was not right for probably a week very strange not recommended, of course maybe i am just weak! Anyone else copped mains?
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to look after 24 overhead monitors at work, and the boards go in these all the time cause they run 24/7. Discharging the tube before disconnecting it is always a nervous moment, they hold a hell of a charge sometimes. Haven't had a shock off one yet, touch wood.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

NOTHING electrical is worth playing around with unless you are qualified, know what you are doing & have your head on the job at hand. Even THEN it is still a game that is quite dangerous.
You are very lucky indeed DOC.
btw - Australia hasn't used 240v now for almost 10 years...tis a 230v system for domestic single phase customers.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:36 PM   #16
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockel
Anyone else copped mains?
I have, in my infinite curiousity I plugged some bent wire into the top two sockets in a 3-point wall socket, and thought "I wonder what it will do when I turn it on"

Needless to say my arm felt pretty funky for a while after that and the wire became superheated and has burnt a permanent mark into my finger.

Never again

Other than that, have copped many a zap from ignition coils, 230v power leads, e.t.c

I'm quite suprised i'm not more messed up than I am
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
I have, in my infinite curiousity I plugged some bent wire into the top two sockets in a 3-point wall socket, and thought "I wonder what it will do when I turn it on"
You need mental help :

Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #18
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

MATE!! absolutely "shocking" story
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #19
dan.76
always reading posts

and i bet you did it with the kids watching, setting a good example
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 PM   #20
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL, reminds me of my inquisitive days at a mate's house where he seemed to have an endless supply of black and white tv's at his disposal. We had one unplugged out the back and curiosity to remove the back got the better of me. I touched the secondry side of the high voltage transformer and, after conceding a yell, had my right hand covered in black soot and was so numb I was convinced I was to perfect riding my bike home with only one arm to contend with! I will never forget it! Suffice to say, I became a Class A Electrician in the years that followed!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #21
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
You need mental help :
hey casper do you want me to hook you up to the Insulation resistance tester ("Meggar")
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 PM   #22
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
You need mental help :
Feel free to point me in the right direction. The only pre-requisite is they must supply nachos...
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #23
stockNAfairlane

May be a dumb comment, but when i'm working with electrics i switch off, unplug then to get rid of excess power hit the on button again.. does this do anything? The devices usually turn on for a half second or so when unplugged.
stockNAfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #24
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS
hey casper do you want me to hook you up to the Insulation resistance tester ("Meggar")
no thanks, took a hit from a powerpoint once.. I dont play with that crap anymore, it hurts.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #25
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x

Needless to say my arm felt pretty funky for a while after that and the wire became superheated and has burnt a permanent mark into my finger.

Never again

Other than that, have copped many a zap from ignition coils, 230v power leads, e.t.c

I'm quite suprised i'm not more messed up than I am
lol.... um and lol I can't believe you choose to do this... :togo:
Old 03-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #26
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan.76
and i bet you did it with the kids watching, setting a good example
I think the good thing to do mate is for all kids big or small is leave them alone if you don't know what your doing with them, these things are deadly even unplugged by the sounds of it.

As for setting a good example, i can't judge myself but in that, i am confident i would score very highly and really a comment like that without facts is loose talk at it's best.

Quote:
puts99 Moral of the story:
Buy a plasma.
100% on the money there, but i still have 5 TV's to blow up yet, not sure how i ended up with 6 tv's for 4 people but I dragged a spare from the shed with another spare just in case.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #27
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockNAfairlane
May be a dumb comment, but when i'm working with electrics i switch off, unplug then to get rid of excess power hit the on button again.. does this do anything? The devices usually turn on for a half second or so when unplugged.
Yes should definately switch off and unplug obviously, however I would not recommend that you assume that all circuits are discharged due to turning on as you mention.

Can i say again.... please you really shouldn't be doing this kind of work unless you know what you are doing and even then as someone already mentioned that doesn't always count for much in some instances.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:53 PM   #28
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
Moral of the story:

Buy a plasma.
"Yea.........then nobody can fix it!!......... :
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #29
rodderz

lol bloody hell Pete, you're not having a good run

I'm wondering though, did you type your original post with the left finger, in a world record 3.56 seconds?

Clontarf, I remember there were a heap of us back in year 8 or so at school thought it would be fun to shove steel wool and wire into the powerpoints at the back of the room, goes without saying the teachers weren't real chuffed about it. Luckily I was too wuss to push the power button though
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2007, 03:30 AM   #30
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockel
Anyone else copped mains?
Twice I can remember. Once as a kid (?7?), neighbours renovating, booted by the light switch wiring. And an extension lead that I was uncoiling, and untangling, which was already plugged in and turned on, as I ran my hand down it I found a spot a critter had chewed through, shorted the circuit breaker, but not a safety switch. I said the f word about 30 times in under a minute. The heart jump, the feeling in your throat, the taste in your mouth. I dont know how much of those things are real, and how much is in your head, but you know youre alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
As for setting a good example, i can't judge myself but in that, i am confident i would score very highly and really a comment like that without facts is loose talk at it's best.
Even Tim the Toolmans kids learned from their Dad.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post