Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-04-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
BillC

Default XR8 running very rough

Missus took the XR8 out last Saturday and gave me a call at home saying the car is shaking. When I got there I started the car and it looked and sounded like it was running on 5 or 6 cylinders. Its done 92,000 and I had just bought NGK iridium plugs so I put them in and it made no difference. I took it to a mate of mine who used to be a Ford mechanic and he pulled some of the leads out and it looked like No. 7 lead made no difference so he suggested it could either be the HT leads or the coil pack. I then went and bought new HT leads and guess what ? Still no difference. I then went and bought a coil pack and again no difference. Any ideas ? I have reached my limit as to what to try next.

BillC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
james22
With da Warlords

uh-oh, I don't like the sound of that. Maybe a broken valve spring on No 7. Fairly common on them too...

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #3
xr8ute
Back on the road

I would be doing a compression test on each cylinder, paying particular attention to cylinder 7.

Its pretty quick and easy to do. Compression testers are like $20 from Supercrap if you dont already have one...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
BillC

I have it booked into Ultratune tomorrow. So if its the valve spring hopefully they will be able to tell me. Finding a good mechanic in Townsville has proven very difficult. I am hoping Ultratune are OK. Each time I took it to the Ford dealer for the warenty service I kept getting it back with problems they introduced. I have a bit of mechanical knowledge so I do most of the mechanical work myself but I have my limits. Valve springs sounds like one of them.
Old 18-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

been here done this, doesnt have a Unichip does it :hihi:

Its pretty easy to check if its a valve spring or not, I have done it and I am not by any means any good with mechanics.
Old 18-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
BillC

No unichip. What are your thoughts of driving a car when its running so rough and not knowing why. I have to drive it about 30 K to get to Ultratune. I would hate to think I am doing it more harm.
Old 18-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillC
No unichip. What are your thoughts of driving a car when its running so rough and not knowing why. I have to drive it about 30 K to get to Ultratune. I would hate to think I am doing it more harm.
if it were me (having been in this situation before), id check it. i had to make a decision as mine was in my driveway when it spat the dummy, and i had to get it to the mechs on the other side of town. If it is a valve spring and it jams on the way, you could be up for major dollars in repair work.

There is a thread where I asked all the questions about how to check the valve springs myself, it took me a while but I learnt a lot along the way. I'll find it for you, and Id strongly suggest you do. Best case is you will find they are fine, worst case is you will find the problem.
Old 18-04-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=79540
Old 18-04-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
BillC

Thanks, I'll have a look this afternoon. I don't have any rattle in mine at any revs though. But my symptoms don't sound much different to the thread. In the thread it didn't say it ended up being the valve spring. Is that what it was?
Old 18-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Thanks, I'll have a look this afternoon. I don't have any rattle in mine at any revs though. But my symptoms don't sound much different to the thread. In the thread it didn't say it ended up being the valve spring. Is that what it was?
nope, in mine it was the unichip
Old 18-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember someone mentioning in a thread similar to this that it could also be the injector, i'd also check for power at the no7 injector, if it has power, put some cleaner thru and see what happens, if not, you'll need to replace it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #12
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is this a common thing just for the 260 or does it happen on the 290 also. Does the 290 have a stronger valve set?
Old 18-04-2007, 10:21 PM   #13
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
is this a common thing just for the 260 or does it happen on the 290 also. Does the 290 have a stronger valve set?
er, we're talking about AU's?
Old 19-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
BillC

Ultra tune has been right through the car today. They found that unplugging the HT lead from No 7 and No 4 plugs make no difference to the car when its running. They found that the plugs were not wet on either plugs when they removed them. He checked both injectors and they were fine. He has now come to the conclusion that its more than likely the computer and has suggested sending it South to be tested ($90) if its faulty it will cost $270 to repair. He has said he will only charge me $80 for the diagnostics and the cost of the repair if its the computer. Sounds reasonable to me. I just hope it gets fixed.
Old 19-04-2007, 07:15 PM   #15
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Quote:
Ultra tune has been right through the car today. They found that unplugging the HT lead from No 7 and No 4 plugs make no difference to the car when its running. They found that the plugs were not wet on either plugs when they removed them. He checked both injectors and they were fine. He has now come to the conclusion that its more than likely the computer and has suggested sending it South to be tested ($90) if its faulty it will cost $270 to repair. He has said he will only charge me $80 for the diagnostics and the cost of the repair if its the computer. Sounds reasonable to me. I just hope it gets fixed.
But has he done a compression test? The comp test should have been done while the plugs were pulled out. I doubt its the computer but try and disconnect it for an hr or so and see if it improves.

Shaun

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #16
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeishaXR8_347
But has he done a compression test?
I was thinking the same thing....would be weird if they skipped this (?)

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 20-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #17
BillC

Because its on no 4 and 7 its unlikely to be anything to do with valve springs etc. 4 and 7 are on opposite sides of the engine. Its an electrical problem. The spark plugs on both pots were dry and advice given to the mechanic was that the injectors are probably not getting a signal (or strong enough signal) to operate
Old 27-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #18
BillC

Just an update. Seems that the computer checked out OK. Just to re-cap. Car running on 6 of the 8 cylinders. Replaced spark plugs, HT leads, coil pack. Still no improvement. Took it to Ultra Tune in Townsville. They checked spark plugs, HT leads, Coil pack, compression on all cylinders, injectors and came to the conclusion that it was probably the computer. Sent computer South to get checked and all was fine. I asked the mechanic if it could be one of the sensors and he said they all checked out fine. Any suggestions ?
Old 27-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #19
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Any suggestions ?
Find a better mechanic.

Old 28-04-2007, 12:45 AM   #20
Umineko
Karasu

I have a Brother in Townsville who's a Ford trained mechanic, I'll call him tomorrow and see if he'd be prepared to look at it for you if you want, I'll PM you if he's ok with it. If it's a go I'll give you with his phone number and you can get in touch.
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #21
hatch
Starter Motor

I had rough running on my ef. It could of been many things. In the end it was one lead not plugged onto the spark plug properly.I had put in new plugs and was careful in reconnecting the leads and the car ran great for about two weeks. And then it started to run rough. I bought new leads but when I was replacing them I noticed one lead had carbon or a black look where the others were clean. I now know to make sure those leads are on properly. They're a tight fit so I lubed the rubber and they slipped on easier. Good luck!
hatch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #22
nitroman
nitroman

Wink

I have found on xr8's the connectors going into either ends of the coils get corroded and dirty causing a misfire. They are a 3 pin connector and from memory it's the middle one that gets dirty. Remove each pin one by one (by pushing them out of the connector block with a little screwdriver) then clean the inside of the connector with contact cleaner and scrape with a tiny screwdriver/knife. Check that the coils and coil mounting bracket are tight (in case of a poor earth connection)Try this before you spend more money.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #23
Free347

Take it to Doig Automotive - 4/25 Keane Street in Currajong (4775 2917). Graham (Doig) is very good and knows his Fords.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #24
5 FTR 5
Made the 300 :0)

the problem i had sounded like yours ,plugs,leads they even changed my computor saying it was faulty.Ended up being on mine the heat sheilds on the plug leads was causing the spark to earth to the heads.
When they where removed the problem went away.
Old 30-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #25
Umineko
Karasu

My brother is too flat out to look at it but as Free347 said Doig knows his Fords, doubt you'll find better up that way
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post