Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #1
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default Splash Guard, Protection Plate Thingie

Well thats the best way i can describe it.

Does Ford or anyone for that matter, make a steel or aluminium, protection splash plate for underneath the engine on the AU's?

My plastic protection plate in addittion to being a pain in the but whenever i wish to drain the coolant, has a tear in it and the 'ridge' is starting to droop. To put it simply it looks **** house. Does the plate actually do anything, because i cant see it providing any decent protection, other than as a splash guard and i cant seeing it being of any aerodynamic use with that big ridge at the back of it.

So i debating whether i should just bin it or if someone does make an aluminum one, use that.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Ford should have a pressed steel one available. They did for earlier models. Be warned though unless you have tiny fingers you may also need to open up the small hole allowed for draining the oil before fitting it.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Sorry on checking i discoverd the later model ones are plastic (and more expensive).
Old 01-05-2007, 01:10 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Apparently ... they do aid in the efficiency of your radiator condensor ... have heard it from a number of sources in here and outside the forum as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Apparently ... they do aid in the efficiency of your radiator condensor ... have heard it from a number of sources in here and outside the forum as well.
Yup, they help with directing airflow to the radiator. There is apparently an issue on really hot days that if you don't have one and you are driving around the city the mix of a lack of airflow and the heat coming up off the road will cause your car to overheat. This comes from a trusted source that used to work for Ford.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I better put mine back on then ... although not having an overheating issue any more (for now though ... can't test in hot weather anymore).

twin-core radiator works wonders ... I will do load testing soon though to see how it goes. But on the freeway cruising ... the temp drops at the moment
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
XRLNT-8
Monsoon SIII XR8 220

Another thing they do is help stop ripping off your front bar when you (or wife!) park over a concrete kerb like they have in most car parks, it helps the bar slide back over it rather than getting hooked up on the inside edge of the bar when reversing out.

Cheers
Sly
XRLNT-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post