Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #61
snowcone

Default Re: Honda Accord Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep View Post
that's the secondary filter. The primary filter is inside the box, not replaceable unless removing the trans and splitting the case.
True, but this is the one that clogs up.

The 2.4 doesn't fry the tranny, it's just that they are susceptible to shuddering at around 1500 rpm when the oil goes off.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2014, 02:14 AM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Anyone know much about the plain old Accords?
The new 9th gen ones looks pretty good. They seam to be a bit cheaper than the Euros, but have more kit.
Missus wants a new car next year and I will probably put an Accord on the shortlist.
If you can get a 2010+ Accord V6 Luxury they're damn nice cars, I think they're about Falcon size. They're build in Thailand but build quality was good unlike Civic/City:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-2888122

I wouldn't bother with the 4 cylinder Accord, the car is too big for such a small engine.

The V6 ones also haul ***, 200KW 3.5L V6.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #63
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Big Damo;
I wouldn't bother with the 4 cylinder Accord, the car is too big for such a small engine.
[/QUOTE]

Absolute rubbish, you don't need a bazillion killowatts in order to get forward motion out of a vehicle.
In my time with the 4cyl accord I spent many hours on the highway, many more fanging it through the twisties with the flappy paddles, I never ONCE failed to overtake because of lack of power.
Keep your 1970s style prejudice where it belongs.

The wide body accord is designed primarily for the us market, its rivals are Camry,Sonata, and Optima. So youll notice some of the interior plastics are hard and scratchy, whereas the Euro is sold as an acura in the us, a more premium brand. Its got nothing to do with where its built.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #64
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
If you can get a 2010+ Accord V6 Luxury they're damn nice cars, I think they're about Falcon size. They're build in Thailand but build quality was good unlike Civic/City:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-2888122

The V6 ones also haul ***, 200KW 3.5L V6.

Considering she is coming from 80kws. I think the 130kws - 150kws odd in the 4 cylinder's would be adequate. She cares more about economy than performance.
It will more than likely be a brand or near new car. So that's 9th gen in the regular accord. I think I prefer the Euro, but it seams the regular is cheaper. Probably a good reason for that though, like danzvtil says above.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #65
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Considering she is coming from 80kws. I think the 130kws - 150kws odd in the 4 cylinder's would be adequate. She cares more about economy than performance.
It will more than likely be a brand or near new car. So that's 9th gen in the regular accord. I think I prefer the Euro, but it seams the regular is cheaper. Probably a good reason for that though, like danzvtil says above.
Sounds like the regular Accord will fit the bill. I too think the Euro is a much better looking car both inside and out. The Accord in comparison is a bit fuggly.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #66
MercuryT
Banned

The old shape Euro is a good car but looks pretty dated now, the V6 one made for US market one is too soft everywhere.

The current shape Euro is way better than both, looks fantastic (to my eyes) and not much more $$ to obtain. Thinking about getting the manual version myself - at 15K for a second hand luxury Euro with lowish Ks is fantastic value. After driving both, auto is not bad, but manual makes the car feel much more lively/enjoyable being underpowered with a 4 as it's geared well and a great shift.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2014, 10:05 PM   #67
Bearman

Recently back from a 2,300km road trip. Took in the GOR all the way to Warrnambool, on to Portland, Cape Bridgewater, Robe, Mt Gambier, through Adelaide to the Barossa, across to Renmark, Mildura then back to Melbourne.

The Honda was flawless. Just ate up the K's and just loves the open road. One tank of fuel got us from Renmark to Mildura and back to Melbourne. Low fuel light came on just crossing Warrigal Rd at Burwood. Took around 58L for 730km. Pretty happy with that.

161,000km on the clock now. Just had major service done and some wear and tear items seen to meant some credit card damage. In spite of this, another one of these will be bloody hard to go past at update time if I go with another Sedan.

As it is now, my car is basically worth a kick in the butt as a trade in. Since it is still going really well I'll probably keep it until the wheels fall off.

As a used buy these are a lot of car for your dough.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
6 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #68
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've driven a manual Accord Euro before and found them to be very refined, great handling and overall a decent drive. The manual box shifts way better than any other manual I had driven before. It may date back to around 2007, but I can't recommend it strongly enough.

The only issue is rear seat room (or lack thereof).
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman View Post
Recently back from a 2,300km road trip. Took in the GOR all the way to Warrnambool, on to Portland, Cape Bridgewater, Robe, Mt Gambier, through Adelaide to the Barossa, across to Renmark, Mildura then back to Melbourne.

The Honda was flawless. Just ate up the K's and just loves the open road. One tank of fuel got us from Renmark to Mildura and back to Melbourne. Low fuel light came on just crossing Warrigal Rd at Burwood. Took around 58L for 730km. Pretty happy with that.

161,000km on the clock now. Just had major service done and some wear and tear items seen to meant some credit card damage. In spite of this, another one of these will be bloody hard to go past at update time if I go with another Sedan.

As it is now, my car is basically worth a kick in the butt as a trade in. Since it is still going really well I'll probably keep it until the wheels fall off.

As a used buy these are a lot of car for your dough.
Nah mate you're fulla crap, its wrong wheel drive bum dragger shopping trolley RUBBISH!!!!!!1111eleventyone

Shoulda bought a Falcon on gas.

loljk.

Do you use premium with it as Hondas are pretty picky with fuel.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #70
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Nah mate you're fulla crap, its wrong wheel drive bum dragger shopping trolley RUBBISH!!!!!!1111eleventyone

Shoulda bought a Falcon on gas.

loljk.

Do you use premium with it as Hondas are pretty picky with fuel.
Run it mostly on Shell V Power 98, sometimes use BP Ultimate. It just happens we do all our shopping at Coles and most of the servos local to me are Shell.

Considering the difference between 95 and 98 is a few cents I decided to use only 98. The owners manual explicitly states not to use any fuel rated lower than 95.

As for the FWD thing these days they are better engineered. Although my Honda is 9 years old I barely notice it's FWD. My preference is still for RWD but a well engineered FWD car is still a good thing.

2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #71
snowcone

My Accord Euro Luxury is probably the best FWD car I have driven.
It behaves perfect and the 2.4 litre motor is smooth and free revving.
I am an old fart and prefer the auto as I can't be bothered moving my left foot and left hand every 3.2 nanoseconds to facilitate continued movement.
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #72
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
My Accord Euro Luxury is probably the best FWD car I have driven.
It behaves perfect and the 2.4 litre motor is smooth and free revving.
I am an old fart and prefer the auto as I can't be bothered moving my left foot and left hand every 3.2 nanoseconds to facilitate continued movement.
They sound great when the engine revs hit the 7000 redline. Ours has 75,000km on the clock, started using 0W20 in the engine two services ago.
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #73
esppwr

Solid cars the accord euro, a/c compressors fail quite commonly and wheel alignment is always an issue as they are designed for Japan's camber less roads. In Aus they will either pull to the left and be ok on tyres or drive straight and chew tyres. No happy median as only toe is adjustable

2010 Triumph Street Triple R, Q/Shifter & Arrows minus restrictors
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2014, 11:48 PM   #74
Bearman

Interesting about the front end. Mine has always driven straight. My current tyres have done 57,000km and worn evenly across the tread although I noticed today the inside shoulders of the fronts have feathered slightly and started to generate noise.

This user likes this post:
Old 04-08-2015, 10:37 AM   #75
Bearman

I am now approaching 190,000km and is still going extremely well.

Since last posting it has had a coil pack fail. Just near home it suddenly lapsed onto 3 cylinders and barely had enough power to drive. Limped home and called the RACV. The RACV bloke did the diagnosis, showed me how to replace it and rang ahead to the nearest Repco for me. I picked up the new coil pack, fitted it and all's well.

Recently the alternator crapped out and limped it to the nearest workshop, Kmart at East Burwood. Got that replaced and again, all's good.

I had hoped to be replacing it shortly (and back into a Ford) but our finances will not allow so I'll need to keep it until it's stuffed. Now that it's 10 years old with high-ish k's its worth not much more than a kick in the ***. I had been taking it back to Astoria Honda for servicing to keep the logbook going figuring it would be good for resale, now that's pretty much a moot point. Astoria are a great workshop but pretty pricey and not that convenient to get to. Given the value of the car now it isn't really worth continuing to take it back there so now I'm on the search for a good independent workshop closer to home.

Will continue to report in from time to time.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #76
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't a 10-year-old Accord Euro still be worth at least 8k? I wouldn't call that hardly anything. 190k is average for a 10-year-old car.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #77
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Wouldn't a 10-year-old Accord Euro still be worth at least 8k? I wouldn't call that hardly anything. 190k is average for a 10-year-old car.
Yeah, probably 8k at the most going by carsales. There are quite a few on there and comparable cars start about there. If I priced it higher it may take a while. Selling privately is such a hassle though. As a trade about 5k would be it so really I'm better off driving the wheels off it, it has plenty of life left in it yet.

I do 30,000km per year so it should be good for another couple of years.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #78
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it were me, I'd sell it before it hits 200k, while it's still worth something. Once it gets over 200k it starts scaring buyers, and if you wait until you drive it to death then you've thrown good money down the drain.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #79
Bearman

You are right, in an ideal world now is the time to move it on but I simply cannot afford to replace it in the foreseeable future hence keeping it until the wheels fall off. Given the build quality and reliability of these cars it's not like I'm sitting on a time bomb waiting for a known problem to happen.

By the time you factor in replacement cost and interest on that borrowed money over time It'll cost me more over the next few years than the residual value the Honda now has.

I need to attack the mortgage now, not pull money out of it.

This user likes this post:
Old 28-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #80
Bearman

I've reached the end of the road with this car, it's for sale. Just waiting for the carsales ad to go live. It is currently at the Honda dealer getting the 190,000km service done, airbag recall work carried out and a RWC. Needs a new windscreen (which I thought it might be pinged) which is costing plenty because of the rain sensing wipers. Will get it back on Monday.

It has been a good car and has served me well but it's time to move it on.

Old 28-08-2015, 07:04 PM   #81
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Needs a new windscreen (which I thought it might be pinged) which is costing plenty because of the rain sensing wipers.
Why would that make a difference to the cost of the windscreen? Don't rain sensing wipers use IR to detect water/rain? There's no wiring or sensors built into the windscreen at all.
Old 28-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #82
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Why would that make a difference to the cost of the windscreen? Don't rain sensing wipers use IR to detect water/rain? There's no wiring or sensors built into the windscreen at all.
No idea, but apparently there is some sort of difference. I rang a windscreen place to quote a replacement to ensure I wasn't getting stiffed. The price quoted is legit so that is that.

Old 28-08-2015, 07:53 PM   #83
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No idea, but apparently there is some sort of difference. I rang a windscreen place to quote a replacement to ensure I wasn't getting stiffed. The price quoted is legit so that is that.
No chance of a free windscreen replacement under insurance?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #84
Bearman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
No chance of a free windscreen replacement under insurance?
too late. Not quick enough on the uptake.

Old 29-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #85
tonys6550

What's on the cards next Bearman? Another Honda?
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #86
Sioso
irregular member

My wife bought a new Accord Euro in 2010 and it was a great car, very luxurious for the money and did everything well.
2.4 litre seemed to have enough punch and felt good up high in the revs.
It was an auto and I think it would be even better with the manual, second gear was super long in the auto.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #87
Matty4
Banana

Keeping your Mum's ASX then?

Edit. Just saw your other post

Last edited by Matty4; 29-08-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Matty4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #88
Bearman

The Honda is sold.

It has been a really good car but the time was right to move it on. Got a good result on the sale and was a relatively hassle free transaction. I had two things going for me. One was my wife got it detailed as I couldn't find the time to do it myself. Came up much better than I could do and looked the goods. The other thing was it was the only Blue one for sale among a sea of Silver and Grey. The young guy who bought it had missed out on a few and really wanted Blue!!

Pricing it was interesting. There were always 2 or 3 others that to me were better buys than mine at any time but mine still went reasonably quickly. I did get a couple of lowball texts and one was persistent. I took great pleasure in letting him know he could stick his offer up his clacker. Offer?? It was more like an ambit claim!!

The guy who bought it was the only genuine call I got and was the only one who inspected the car. As they say, it only takes one.

I will remember this car fondly, it was a good 'un.

3 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #89
unkey

Accord Euros are such awesome cars,my 2010 CU2 has been absorlutely bullet proof,i would say just as good,if not better reliability than a Toyota.
unkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post